Saturday, December 1, 2012

embroidery yarn shelf

this is no cosplay crafting entry.

since I started the embroidery thing. all the yarns are half used and its always a big mess. I am a messy person but I love well organized places. therefore I decided to make a depository for all my embroidery yarn.

I simply took a long piece a foam board, which was a leftover from an other crafting thing. foam board is a very thin plate of styropor sealed with paper on each surface. it is often used for signboards and presentation posters, because it is stable like thick cardboad but much lighter. 
the size of my piece is about 60x8 cm.

I first marked little triangles onto the foam board then cut them out with a cardboard cutter. use a new blade - the foam board tends to fray if not cut with a new, sharp blade. place the small triangles across each other. and leave enough space between them. I decided to go for a gap about 2 cm

so you end with a piece that looks a little bit like a chainsaw. add a piece with an hoop so you can put in on a nail in your wall.

here you can see the hoop I made  and the rounded edges. somehow I like this style better.

at this point you can get your yarn onto it. but I realized that it is too big to put the yarn on and off conveniently. so I decided to cut it into two pieces and add a connector.


it is simply glued with my precious contact glue (check my glue entry to get more information of the contact glue). of course the ugly connectors are on the left side of the piece!

to fix the end of each yarnstring I made a small cut above each triangle on the left side. so you can simply pinch the end of the yarn into it. so next time there are no difficulties to find the string.

here is the finished piece. it is super useful! you see all the colours at one peek and it prevents strings from tangling up.

and this is how it blends into my sewing-workspace. I really like it and it is really comfortable to work with.

hope you liked this entry
have a tidy, organized day, a good time and
CHACKABÄMS!

No comments:

Post a Comment