Thursday, December 13, 2012

how to cross stitch - translate the picture onto your fabric

this entry shall explain how I prepare images for cross stitch embroidery. for the basics check out this cross stitch entry.

first thing is to choose a image. I recommend an easy image with few different colours for beginners. the more colours, the trickier the image. for the sweater I started with some tetris-stones. to be able to explain a little bit more, I will go for this link sprite. 
enlarge the picture till you can see the pixel clearly. pick the tweezers-option in your image editor and select each colour and mark it. I took this picture with me to buy the correct yarn.
if you have a working printer (lucky you) print it out and mark everything onto your sheet. if your printer is broken like mine transfer the image onto squared paper. make out how wide and tall your reference is. this link has a height of 28 and a with of 20 pixel. it is helpful to know this to prepare your soluvlies pattern, you save time by not drawing useless dots.
 

you may also mark your soluvlies mesh pattern, it makes things easier. especially with complicated patterns 


 here you can see that I marked the soluvlies with some green fine liner. if you are working with a soluvlies mesh pattern make sure that the soluvlies piece is big enough to fit into your embroidery hoop. if you forget this you will have to redo the mesh (I forgot this twice T_T )

then start the embroidery :D


here see the progress of my jumping link

the reference and my helpsheet. make sure to trace ALL the outlines. don't forget anything. here you can see how I failed : I forgot the last line of links head.

start to stitch. start with the outlines. finish one colour then continue with the second and so on. if you finished one colour doublecheck your reference. make sure every cross is at the right place. it is very annoying to find mistakes later and mostly impossible to fix them easily
continue with all the other colours. and don't underestimate embroidery. it takes a lot of time. your progress depends on many circumstances: the kind of your fabric, personal skill and on how complicated your pattern is. 

to give you a grip of time: it took me about 3 hours to get to this point. and I only managed the outlines of the important colours. the whole link took me about 6 hours I think.

the finished link :D
he is jumping from the L-shaped tetris piece. I think this sprite comes out very well :3

thanks for reading and have a crafty day
chackabäms!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Ich möchte so einen Link haben! Ô_o
    Echizen

    ReplyDelete